[time-nuts] Low cost GPS module for < 100ns timestamping error

EWKehren at aol.com EWKehren at aol.com
Sat May 3 13:11:18 UTC 2014

I am not advertising for DX but I have bought 4 with good results and their
 units have a 5 V regulator on it. Some have even a TTL to RS converter on
board.
Bert Kehren

In a message dated 5/2/2014 11:40:47 P.M. Eastern Daylight Time,
tnuts at toneh.demon.co.uk writes:

On  03/05/2014 00:59, EWKehren at aol.com wrote:
> Welcome to the nuts  Tony

Thanks, Bert.

> You are not specifying exactly how  accurate time has to be but in my book
> and based on tests the most  reasonable priced GPS with 1 pps is a
> Ublox 6M
> that  you  can get with antenna for less than $ 22 antenna included from
>  _www.DX.com_  (http://www.DX.com) . They have volume discount.
>  Shipping is  very
> slow but included. They seem to be presently  out of the 1 pps version but
> all ublox units have a 1 pps output and I  use with and without and all
> I do is
>   solder a  wire to pin 3.
> Bert Kehren

As I said in my first post I'd like  to achieve an accuracy of better
than 100ns - or 50ns if possible at  reasonable cost.

I had come across the Ublox 6M when I was looking  earlier, but I
misunderstood the data sheet and thought it was only the  expensive
($135) LEA/NEO-6T versions which provided timing. Definitely  worth a
closer look - the NEO-6M is specced at 30ns RMS which is good  enough.
The power consumption is a little higher than I would have  liked  at
37mA/3V, but still rather less than  others.

Thanks,
Tony
time-nuts mailing  list -- time-nuts at febo.com
To unsubscribe, go to