[time-nuts] Low cost GPS module for < 100ns timestamping error

Francesco Messineo francesco.messineo at gmail.com
Sun May 4 16:20:16 UTC 2014

On Sun, May 4, 2014 at 5:40 PM, Chris Albertson
<albertson.chris at gmail.com> wrote:
> Looks like this is all you'd need for most timing projects.  Just add your
> favorite OCXO and some wire.
>
> The SPARC (not Spark) is actually a step up from ARM.  It was developed by
> Sun Microsystems (now Oracle) it is optimized for things like fast context
> switching, multi tasking and so on, all the things done by operating
> systems. The Sparc V8 does 128 bit floating point, (quad precision) I
> wonder if 200Kb RAM is enough to run an older version of SunOS?  (a BSD
> variant.)

In a previous life, I worked as Unix sysadmin at university. We had
several old Sun3 (motorola 68020 based) and a few Sparcstation based
on Sparc. The first SunOS I worked with was 4.1.1U1 and the last
4.1.4.
I remember even the 68020 were  a bit unhappy with 4Mbytes of RAM but
I can't recall if it was a kernel requirement or just the userland
stuff we needed to run on them.
Probably NetBSD can be a more recent and configurable option for
embedded sparcs.

best regards

Frank