[time-nuts] Datum 4065A Cs Tube Response

Ed Palmer ed_palmer at sasktel.net
Mon May 5 05:45:53 UTC 2014

I'm playing with my first Cs standard.  It's a Datum 4065A which appears
to have a dead STEL-1173 synthesizer.  Before I put too much effort into
replacing that, I thought I'd check the tube and see if it has any life
left.  I've attached a chart showing the response of the central peak.

My methodology was similar to TVB's as shown here:
http://www.leapsecond.com/pages/cspeak except that I measured the tube
output directly with a digital voltmeter.  The system is reporting
wildly varying levels for the beam current so I didn't want to use any
of it's circuitry.

Does this look like a usable tube?  Healthy or on it's last legs? What
response levels are typical for a Datum 7504A tube?  I see that these
levels are somewhat lower than those shown on leapsecond for the 5061A
tube, but that could just be the specifics of the measurement.

Thanks,

Ed