[time-nuts] Datum 4065A Cs Tube Response

Ed Palmer ed_palmer at sasktel.net
Mon May 5 21:40:55 UTC 2014

Hi Tom,

Yes, that's the right chip, but the 'L' at the end means it's the DIP
package.  The PLCC package has an 'M' instead of the 'L'.  I also found
a lot of sellers on a far east site who have the DIP package (probably
used chips pulled from sockets), but none who have the PLCC package.
The price is also a lot less than $65, but of course, you're taking a
risk that you might be buying a dead chip.

Ed

On 5/5/2014 3:18 PM, Tom Knox wrote:
> Hi
> Is this the right chip:
> http://www.oemstrade.com/search/STEL-1173%252FCL/
> At $65 it is pricy but a bargain if it fixes your clock.
> Thomas Knox
>

>> Date: Mon, 5 May 2014 15:14:16 -0600
>> From: ed_palmer at sasktel.net
>> To: time-nuts at febo.com
>> Subject: Re: [time-nuts] Datum 4065A Cs Tube Response
>>
>> I know very little about today's DDS chips, but I think that emulating
>> the STEL-1173 would be a challenge.  It provides 48 bit frequency
>> resolution.  I counted 13 different frequencies that are used to monitor
>> the signal to make sure that it's on frequency. Based on the manual,
>> they were shifting it many times per second. I'm not surprised the chip
>> died - they worked it to death!
>>
>> Ed
>>
>> On 5/5/2014 6:49 AM, paul swed wrote:
>>> I will agree with Joe. I have a CS tube thats darn near impossible to read
>>> the beam current and yet it still locks. That truly amazes me. I seem to
>>> recall other comments ages ago about that chip failing. There should be a
>>> way to emulate it these days with all of the DDS chips and such that are
>>> available.
>>> Good luck.
>>> Regards
>>> Paul.