[time-nuts] OT -- AOL and Yahoo Email Warning

Attila Kinali attila at kinali.ch
Tue May 6 21:22:22 UTC 2014

On Tue, 6 May 2014 06:50:50 -0400 (EDT)
GandalfG8 at aol.com wrote:

> Obviously this is fundamentally an AOL problem, I'm not suggesting  it to
> be a list issue as such, and I've now switched my list  email settings to
> receive just the daily digest in the hopes that this will  avoid future
> problems with individual emails, but if anyone does know of a  work around that
> will allow individual emails to be received, whilst still  avoiding the
> bounces, then I'd be very happy to hear of it.

As someone who has maintained and still maintains a couple of high
volume mailinglists, i can assure you, there is no worse choise
of mail provider than yahoo and aol. Depending on the phase of the moon
between 20 and 80% of the mails do not get delivered on the first
attempt. Some servers of yahoo always accept mails, other always reject,
again others reject based on recipient. And of course, from time
to time they decide that your mailinglist is not allowed to send
them any mails for some reason and reject all mails for days (enough
to mess up bounce processing) and then start to accept again.
You cannot talk to anyone from yahoo or aol without being treated like
a complete idiot who has no idea what mail is, even if you tell them
that you maintain a mail server...

I could go on and on about what is wrong with yahoo and aol.
The message here is: if you use them and subscribe to mailinglists, then
you make your and the mailinglist admins life harder. Don't do that!
Choose one of the other free email providers. There are plenty that
actually care about their service.

And sorry for the OT, but it always pains me when i see people
using yahoo or aol.

			Attila Kinali

use without that foundation.