[time-nuts] The Problem with Time & Timezones - Computerphile

Tim Shoppa tshoppa at gmail.com
Fri May 9 17:56:12 UTC 2014

That's the magic of tz database for timezones and NIST leap-second file for
leap seconds. The code stays same from year to year, but as politics
changes timezones or IERS announces leapseconds, you just make sure you
load the new tz file and leap-seconds file.

Re-writing and re-testing code every time there's a change is such a losing
proposition :-(. Updating a data file, that's a lot easier.

http://tools.ietf.org/html/rfc6557

ftp://time.nist.gov/pub/leap-seconds.3535228800