[time-nuts] PIC Programmer for Piklab in Linux?

Chris Albertson albertson.chris at gmail.com
Thu May 15 01:12:04 UTC 2014

I =switched over to USB based development boards a few years back.

Must have a mini USB on them and you never even need to think about
"programming" you simply click "upload" in the text editor.  You can get
them with ARV, Adruino, ARM and other CPUs.  Prices in some cases under $5.
 I've not had to build a PCB either as these come ready to use.

Maybe time to switch.  These modern boards have about a 10 minute learning
curve.  From cutting open the box to first running program.

The gadget below has a usb jack, is self programming, connects direct (with
only a USB cable) to any Linux/Mac or windows computer.  It has about a
half dozen analog pins (dac/adc) and a dozen digital pins.  eBay's for
under $10.  If you install 0.1" male header s it drops into a solderless
bread board, (there are many things like this.)

Stand alone programmers are going to be harder and harder to find as time
goes on.

On Wed, May 14, 2014 at 4:15 PM, Bob Stewart <bob at evoria.net> wrote:

> Can anyone suggest a PIC programmer that will work with Piklab on Linux?
> The replacement serial board I just bought won't drive my JDM Classic PIC
> programmer.  It doesn't reliably drive my LIRC IR transmitter either, so I
> have to devote the serial port on my motherboard to LIRC.  My GPSDO
> development is stalled until I can get something that works.
>
> Bob - AE6RV

Chris Albertson
Redondo Beach, California