[time-nuts] time messages

Bob Camp kb8tq at n1k.org
Mon May 26 18:02:39 UTC 2014

Hi

Here’s my guess:

Powers of two sound fine. Anything more than that is getting into the “waste of bits” area.

Fully silly range might be +32 to -32. On a practical basis, some of that range is not useful (+32 for example).

Pick a number at one end or the other (zero or 255 or ...) for “I don’t know”.  (let’s say +32)

Pick a couple of other end numbers as “reserved”. (say 28,29,30 and 31)

Let the rest of them define the precision.

That way you can express any meaningful precision, and still have a few messages lying around for the inevitable unforeseen extensions.

You have an 8 byte payload and have added six bits to it. If the protocol wants to see a byte as the smallest added chunk then indeed waste the two bits on a bit finer grained accuracy.

Bob