[time-nuts] New tide gauge uses GPS signals to measure sea level change

Jim Lux jimlux at earthlink.net
Wed May 28 20:44:49 UTC 2014

On 5/27/14, 9:21 PM, Chris Albertson wrote:
>> On 5/27/14, 10:24 AM, Brooke Clarke wrote:
>

> BACK ON TOPIC...   What does it take to measure ones distance from the
> center of the Earth accurately enough to detect geological movement in
> a reasonable amount of time?     Measuring distance really is, I think
> a time nut problem as I bet it involves measuring radio waves.

Considering that the Pacific Plate is moving north at about 2cm/year,
that is easily detectable with GPS and post processing. Somebody in
Southern California should be able to measure it without going to too
exotic an effort: you need a GPS receiver that can put out the
observables in a gipsy file, and then post process through JPL's website.

The Ventura Anticline is still rising at about the same rate.