[time-nuts] Beginner question - unexpected possible jitter in 1 PPS output of Motorola ONCORE UT+ module

Tom Van Baak (lab) tvb at leapsecond.com
Sat May 31 22:37:26 UTC 2014

Check rising/falling edge times, check trigger levels, check signal levels and load. Are you DC or AC coupled. How about power supply noise and grounding? Which edge are you actually triggering on? Is there crosstalk with the Tx line.

It is extremely unlikely that there's a problem with the UT+ itself -- this series of Motorola Oncore GPS boards has served the time & frequency community for two decades with no problems, or jitter, or off-by-100us errors.

It will be fun to meticulously track down the bug; don't just make it go away and move on. We will all learn from this interesting problem.

I'll trade you a perfect UT+ if you give up. At some point we time nuts stop getting excited about what works and delight in what doesn't, and why.

/tvb (i5s)