[time-nuts] HP 5300B - HP 5308A Counter Time Base Question...

Burt I. Weiner biwa at att.net
Sat Nov 1 19:19:23 UTC 2014

I was recently given a HP-5300B / 5308A counter. I thought it might
be handy when I'm at an AM broadcast transmitter and needed to make
"rough" frequency measurements.  It turns out that at 1000 kHz it
reads about 4.5 Hz high. Looking inside I'm not sure if there's a
time base adjustment.  I looked at the on-line manuals available and
I don't find any reference to adjusting the time base
frequency.  Does anyone here know anything about these counters?  Is
there a schematic available?  I'm not looking for precision, but 4.5
Hz at 1 MHz seems a tad much.

Burt, K6OQK

Burt I. Weiner Associates
Broadcast Technical Services