[time-nuts] Measuring ADEV for a beginner

Magnus Danielson magnus at rubidium.dyndns.org
Sun Nov 2 02:12:33 UTC 2014

That will work as a starting-point.

When you look at your ADEV plot, you will notice a 1/tau curve for the
lower taus, that is due to your counters limitations. If you need to go
below that, you need a better counter, but for the moment you should
start believe the plot as it flattens out, that has more to do with your
signal, unless that is the same as your reference or a very high
measurement floor of the counter.

A good test is to split your reference into the start and stop inputs,
and then measure the amount of noise you have. Preferably with a
slightly longer cable to the stop channel. This will give you the noise
floor of the counter, for that signaltype and trigger-point.

There are ways to improve things if your noise is higher than the
single-shot resolution, as you read out the ADEV at tau=1s.

Cheers,
Magnus