[time-nuts] NPR Story I heard this morning

Chris Albertson albertson.chris at gmail.com
Mon Nov 3 18:10:33 UTC 2014

In a normal car, bring a generator.  Using a big 6 cyl. engine to drive a
tiny 20 amp alternator is not so good.  And that alternator is not designed
to run 24x7 at full load.The Prius is on the other hand a very good
generator and with some add on equipment can power your house.   The Prius
engine turns itself on and off to keep the large battery charged to you can
take out lots of power with the engine off.  So the engine never runs at an
inefficient speed.   Normal cars are very poor at this because the engine
must run full time.

On Mon, Nov 3, 2014 at 10:02 AM, Hal Murray <hmurray at megapathdsl.net> wrote:

> xaos at darksmile.net said:
> > I was planning a similar trip from Astoria Queens, NYC which is sea
> level,
> > to Adirondack Mountains, upstate New York.
>
> You will need clocks that are better than Tom's.  :)
>
> He parked at 5,000 feet.  Do any roads go that high in the Adirondacks?
> How
> high can you park?
>
> What's the efficiency of the generator in a parked car compared to a
> portable
> generator?  What's the right unit?  kilo-watt-hours per gallon?  How does a
> normal car compare to a hybrid?
>

> --
> These are my opinions.  I hate spam.

Chris Albertson