[time-nuts] Hydrogen Maser KIT! Update #1

Yuri Ostry yuri at ostry.ru
Mon Nov 3 19:41:31 UTC 2014

Hello,

Monday, November 3, 2014, 5:40:30, Chuck Harris wrote:

C> I would think that making the teflon coating would be pretty easy.

C> What I would try is to put a nichrome boat, and some teflon into the
C> vessel, and pull it down to a good vacuum.  Then heat up the boat,
C> and the teflon should sublime, and condense on the walls of the
C> vessel.

C> The nichrome boat could be something as simple as wrapping the nichrome
C> into a solenoid form around some teflon rod.

C> -Chuck Harris

Teflon decomposes at high temperatures, releasing some sublimate and a
lot of really nasty chemicals, like fluorfosgen. There is a chance
that really thin even coating can be produced this way, but a lot of
experimentation would be needed.

I would try to take samples of PTFE-insulated hookup wire (from different
manufacturers, say white Alfa or Belden wire and russian MGTF wire that use
slightly different PTFE formula) and try to make coating inside glass
tube samples, using copper wire as heater by itself.

I doubt that there will be good results, though. "Classic" way with
thin slurry application and heating to teflon melt point to make solid
film may be more "realistic".