[time-nuts] Lucent KS-24361 GPSDO arrived today several questions

GandalfG8 at aol.com GandalfG8 at aol.com
Thu Nov 6 08:44:27 UTC 2014

Hi Paul

Prime question is what are you calling the "slave" unit?
In normal use Lucent treats the Ref-0 unit as the master and Ref-1 as the
slave, but it's Ref-1 that contains the GPS module. Bit confusing but if
you've  got Ref-1 with the GPS module then you're in business:-)

It's turned out the transistor delay circuit isn't needed after all and the
 wiring can be simplified too.

All that's necessary to run the Ref-1 stand alone is to ground pins 2 and 3
 on the J5 interface connector and there's a couple of convenient ground
pins  already on that connector, 8 and 13.
In normal use pin3 is tied hard to ground, presumably via direct link from
the other module, so that can just be a wire link to either pin 8 or 13.
Pin 2 is normally held at a logic low level so although a direct  ground
seems to work ok for that too, and no damage noted so far, I prefer to  play
it safe and ground that one to the other ground pin via a 470ohm resistor,
which also works fine.
That's it.

The LEDS should flash at start up, followed by "No GPS" and "Fault" on
solid whilst the unit goes through acquisition and lock, this can take  an hour
or so, and then those LEDs should go off and the "On" light should  be
solid.
At this point the 15MHz and 1PPS outputs are enabled.

The J8 diagnostics connector is enabled from start up and SatStat can  be
used to monitor progress.
The RS422 3 wire fudge suggested by Stu Cobb works fine for me, J8 pin 7 to
 PC 9 way comm port pin 5, J8 pin 8 to comm port pin 3, J8 pin 9 to comm
port pin  2.

Regards

Nigel
GM8PZR