[time-nuts] New Guy, has HP 5061A with DATUM 7105A tube seeks advice

Wayne Holder wayne.holder at gmail.com
Thu Nov 6 07:21:16 UTC 2014

I recently picked up a 5061A surplus, but have no idea whether it works or
not.  The first hurdle is getting a power cord, but I'm still waiting for
the proper connector to show up (the first one I ordered had the wrong
orientation on the 3 pins.)  In the meantime, I've been reading though what
materials I can find online in order to figure out how to  try and safely
turn it on and see if the tube is OK, or dead.

However after removing the top cover, I can see that my unit doesn't seem
to contain the typical kind of cesium tube assembly I see in the HP docs
I've found online.  Instead, it has a tube made by DATUM with the following
markings on the label:

Model: 7105A
Serial: 9951991226
Part No: 03667-501
Oven Temp: 92 degrees C
Oven Monitor Therm: 101 Ohms
EMV: 2000 DC
NSN ______ 5960 01214 7475

Can anyone tell me about this model and why it might have a DATUM tube
rather than the kind I see in the HP oc?  Also, any advice on how to safely
check it out?

I bought this thing out of curiosity but, upon looking inside at all the
various dials and switches and multi-turn potentiometers, I find I'm rather
intimated by it, even though I have a fairly decent background in
electronics.

Wayne