[time-nuts] Divide by five

Bob Camp kb8tq at n1k.org
Sat Nov 8 00:37:35 UTC 2014

Hi

The days of DIP parts are drawing to a close. Most of the DIP’s are now surplus and stocked by odd places here and here. The risk with many places (even major names) is that the part you get isn’t what you think it is. It may be a re-labeled something else pulled off a board in China with a blowtorch.

I think that in a lot of ways, you are better off with something in one of the larger SMD packages than a surplus / questionable DIP. The other half of the equation at higher frequencies is good layout. That sort of forces you in the direction of a pc board. Custom boards are now so crazy cheap that doing them for a one off makes sense.

Bob