[time-nuts] Divide by five

xaos xaos at darksmile.net
Sat Nov 8 00:59:42 UTC 2014

As far as I'm concerned there are no more DIP parts.
However, let's not give up yet. Although
I am not a high volume manufacturer, I found
a nice way around it.

First, forget about prototyping by hand. That
ship has left.

So, I use OrCAD/Cadence (CIS/PCB Editor)
from the start in order to create
a proper project. This includes circuit and board.
OrCAD is fantastic in that you can have
revisions, simulation, etc, etc...

Then I use http://pcb123.com/ to make myself a
protoboard (or 4). Pretty cheap for
that volume. ~$50

Then to mount the components, I use
http://www.pnconline.com/

I can usually make 2-4 protoboards
for ~$200-300 with all the components.
Depends on count.

OK, so not exactly old school but
I have a very nice prototype. OrCad
also does amazing simulations
on diff pairs, and other cool things.

Ultimately, by thinking of these things ahead
of time and doing the design right I end up saving
considerable time.

On the prototypes, there is usually a few extra
SMD pots but that's ok.

Let's face it. DIPs are done. This is the way now
and we might as well get used to it.

Anyone here who needs help with OrCad,
just ask. I am sure there are a few experts here
as well.

Thanks for listening,

-George, N2FGX