[time-nuts] Lucent KS-24361 GPSDO arrived today several questions

Shaun Merrigan shaunmerrigan at outlook.com
Sun Nov 9 21:34:48 UTC 2014

Folks,

I have been working with  the first of two of these systems purchased from the auction site.  I have a few observations and comments to offer:

Bob said:

> > In normal use Lucent treats the Ref-0 unit as the master and Ref-1 as
> > the slave, but it's Ref-1 that contains the GPS module.

And you need to be connected via  serial port to Ref-1 in order to control the GPS and do things like change the antenna delay and initiate a site survey.  Otherwise you are ignored like an annoying relative :-)

Bob also pointed out that the interface connector cable between the two units can cause issues.  I can attest to this first hand.  I needed to reseat both ends of the cable several times before the two units would talk to each other.

There is a version of SatStat that will happily run under Windows 7 64bit; no VM is needed. This is Symmetricom version 5.0.  The earlier version of Satstat will not run under Win 7 64 except in an XP VM.

That said, I am using GPSCon to talk to the Z3811A via a serial to USB converter and Stewart's  original RS422 to RS232 hack until my hardware converters arrive.

I have put up a GPSCon page showing the Lucent KS-24361 as it ages: http://www.shaunmerrigan.info/timeandfreq/gpscon4/gpsstat.htm

Shaun M.