[time-nuts] future NTP programs...

Poul-Henning Kamp phk at phk.freebsd.dk
Sun Nov 9 23:06:18 UTC 2014

--------
In message <bf75ef8568d7310a05437461dac9cb87.squirrel at webmail.lysator.liu.se>,
=?iso-8859-1?Q?=22Bj=F6rn_Gabrielsson=22?= writes:

>Nevertheless I was a bit surprised that the computer continued to serve
>time claiming to be a S1-server, even if both local refclock and a number
>of external S1-servers said time was false. I dont know if recent ntpd and
>operating system versions still have this problem.

Yeah, this is the kind of shit you have to put up with when your
time-server source code is 100+ KLOC and has gotten to that size
by "lets just add this feature" methodologies.

>Poul-Henning, for the updated server with local refclock, have you
>elaborated over

My first target is a daemon for clients, that's the most efficient
way to eliminate as many KLOC-executions from the world as possible
as fast as possible.

After that, the intent is to reuse the same components also for
S2+ slave servers, and later again S1 servers.

But the target right here and now is clients only.