[time-nuts] Electrolytic Capacitor Question

Perry Sandeen sandeenpa at yahoo.com
Sat Nov 8 23:32:28 UTC 2014

List,

OK everybody, let’s not get our pacemakers wound up<G>

The problem. (Long Intro)

I have about 15 pieces or so of older HP test equipment.
3586B, 5370B, 5335A to name a few.  Because of their age of 20+ years a few have failed and need repair. I
have decided to go on a wholesale electrolytic capacitor replacement on all of
them. (Mouser will be able to declare an extra dividend)

For all the *standard* types I’ve chosen mostly Panasonic
105C 10,000 hour caps. So far, so good.

Now I come to the issue of the wet-slug tantalums that were
used.  At the time of manufacture, these
were the best and most expensive low voltage electrolytics available.

The question is: can one replace the tantalums with the high
grade (105C) Panasonic or Nichicon capacitors with an equal or higher
capacitance value?

Even using the *tear drop* new replacements one is looking
at very heavy $$$.

Regards,

Perrier