[time-nuts] future NTP programs...

Poul-Henning Kamp phk at phk.freebsd.dk
Mon Nov 10 09:34:18 UTC 2014

--------
In message <647BB61DCE1F4679A45CD5C1DB1FE963 at Alta>, "David J Taylor" writes:

>I want to
>be able to monitor a number of servers from a central monitoring point
>(which might not even be running NTP), and using ntpq with its different
>options is, for me, an ideal way to do that.

First of all, I'm focusing on the client software right now.

That said: It goes without saying that monitoring servers is a
different ball-game than monitoring clients.

And no, I still don't like the ntpq stuff, because it cannot express
the kind of things you'll want to monitor on a server, if you are
serious about running it:

How many clients report us as their REFID (is there something
horribly wrong in a firewall somewhere ?)

How many satelites does my GPS see ?

And so on...

How I'll doing the monitoring once I get to the server software
remains to be seen, but it is very likely to involve a CLI interface
and possibly a shared memory state

Pretty much like Varnish

... feel free to wonder why ? :-)