[time-nuts] Electrolytic Capacitor Question

Scott McGrath scmcgrath at gmail.com
Mon Nov 10 13:05:19 UTC 2014

I've taken a hybrid approach I'm using an in circuit ESR meter to determine whether cap needs to be replaced

Tantalum capacitors usually fail because of running them too close or at rated voltage.  HP unlike others in the industry did not tend to do this so I've had a low incidence of tantalum caps fail.  Generally the only ones I would replace are ones called out in service notes  or manual updates for uprating in value.

As others have said electrolytics and tantalums look quite different on a network analyzer and HP frequently selected parts for their performance characteristics

As to electrolytics the Panasonics are good but personally I've spent the extra money and used exact replacement Vishay Sprague electrolytics and Tantalums since they were the OEM for most of those parts when gear was built

Sent from my iPhone