[time-nuts] My NTGS50AA failed

EB4APL eb4apl at cembreros.jazztel.es
Thu Nov 13 01:10:51 UTC 2014

Hi Nigel,

Thank you for the suggestions, I was trying to avoid the OCXO removal
but I think that now it must be done.
I was also playing with the idea of populating the connectors so an OCXO
exchange could be easily made, this makes possible to try various
oscillators.
Meanwhile I has been probing and measuring a lot of points and by chance
I found a very interesting thing:  Probing TP33 (which is close to the
Trimble chip (U2) and directly connected to pin 76) there is a 1PPS, 10
us wide signal.  I've checked it and appears to be synchronous with the
1/2 PPS output so maybe it can be routed to an output, probably I'll
replace the 1/2 PPS with it, using the existing drive circuit and
connector since it is very straightforward.
My only concern is if this signal only is there during the anomalous
condition that I have now, I have to retest it after fixing it.
I had asked several times if anybody had located a 1PPS signal on these
units, but the responses were negative and I had not probed
systematically the board before.  Also I'm taking notes of the signals
found and I'll try to make a partial schematic at least with the EFC
circuitry.  When I fix it I'll clean the notes and figures and I'll
upload it to some place.

Best regards,
Ignacio