[time-nuts] Strange Carrier

brucekareen at aol.com brucekareen at aol.com
Sat Nov 15 21:07:25 UTC 2014

Brook's suggestion to shut off your house power is an excellent one; however, your neighbors could be involved, too.  A portable transistor radio tuned to the low end of the band where there is no station would make a good electrical noise detector -- assuming the mystery signal has harmonics, too...

In another life I was responsible for an AM radio station operating near the low end of the band where man-made electrical noise is the most severe.  When we received interference complaints from listeners, we always sent technicians out to investigate as if one person complained, many more were likely affected.

Next to commercial power circuits arcing, one of the most offensive noise sources was SCR dimmers of all sorts.  In one memorable case the investigator traced the interference to a string of holiday lights strung around the eves of a home and controlled by a dimmer.  The system broadcast noise for several blocks.

Bruce, KG6OJI