[time-nuts] Lucent KS-24361, HP/Symmetricom Z3809A, Z3810A, Z3811A, Z3812...

Bob Camp kb8tq at n1k.org
Mon Nov 17 21:19:03 UTC 2014

Hi

I would pretty much ignore any 60 / 120 / 180 Hz spurs in a US phase noise plot. The same thing would be true of 50 / 100 / 150 Hz spurs from a country that uses 50 Hz power. Unless everything is running in the middle of a corn field on batteries, there is no way to be *sure* that they are not part of the measurement setup.

If you happen to be on a circuit with heavy rotary machinery, you can see artifacts at 1/2 or 1/3 or 1/4 the power line frequency. I doubt that in that case the bearings on the equipment are going to last very long. They rarely are strong enough to bother a phase noise plot, but I have had it happen.

Bob