[time-nuts] 10811

Richard (Rick) Karlquist richard at karlquist.com
Tue Nov 18 22:58:54 UTC 2014

Yes, 5.1V Zeners (or something like that) have a "magic" zero tempco if
you put a conventional diode in series with it.  I used to know
stuff like that during the Jurassic period.

However, the diode in the 10811 is ovenized, so that is not so
important. 6.2V was chosen to get +/- 5V tuning range, which was
probably a spec inherited from the 10544.  Everything was done for a
reason relevant to HP, which may or may not be a reason relevant to you.

The frequency of the 10811 is more sensitive to the temperature of
the oscillator transistor (a selected 2N5179) than the diode.  This
inspired the E1938A.

Rick