[time-nuts] SR620 - any gotchas buying a used one?

Magnus Danielson magnus at rubidium.dyndns.org
Sat Nov 22 13:19:06 UTC 2014

David,

Do download the manual. Consider getting the hardprint manual.

The minumum you can expect of a seller is that they power the unit on,
and it should not show an error on start-up.

You can try to ask for them to do the performance check in the manual.
If the frequency measure is somewhat "off" from 10 MHz when measuring
against the internal time-base, that is nothing to worry about, as it
only tells you that you need to do calibration of frequency offset
(which is a time-offset in the hardware that needs manual calibration of
compensation constant, which isn't hard to do).

I recommend you to do both the performance check and calibration as you
receive it. I had one which was "suspect", but doing the performance
check and calibration removed any doubt, it was in fact somewhat better
than my first SR620.

Cheers,
Magnus