[time-nuts] Practical considerations making a lab standard with an LTE lite

SAIDJACK at aol.com SAIDJACK at aol.com
Sun Nov 23 20:46:32 UTC 2014

Hi guys,

this is the kind of lively discussion I was hoping for! I enjoyed  this.

Some comments (these are my opinions only):

* Thanks much for Tom publishing the plots, and spending a lot(!) of time
evaluating and helping improve the units significantly. Tom's unit was a
pre-production unit. We added RTV (some units black, some a combo) to the TCXO
 production units based on his suggestion of the successful TP
modification. The RTV will help keep airflow away, but additional shielding will  help
even more.

* There is a point where thermally stabilizing the unit does not help
anymore. I suspect that point is reached shortly before burying the unit 50
meters underground :) At the point of diminishing marginal returns the GPS  and
loop noise will be larger than the thermally induced phase offsets. Also
local heating from the GPS receiver (which is not constant) will swamp
external  thermal effects at some point. For us in our lab, the point of
diminishing  returns is reached when we simply slide the unit into its ESD packaging,
then  put some pink ESD padding on top of it. With that simple  shielding
we can get ADEV at 5x to 8x its rated 1ppb performance out of most  units.

* Temperature changes are typically not the problem with TCXOs, simple
airflow and convection turbulence is what causes most of the phase drift
problems. As shown by Tom simply putting a layer of TP on top of the unit made a
huge difference in stability by keeping convective flow away from the TCXO,
 while it probably did nothing for temperature insulation. These convective
flows  are very fast and high-frequency so inside the GPS loop time
constant, whereas  temp changes are usually easy to low-pass dampen to the point
that the  GPS loop will hide them.

* Actively heating the units' enclosure to some stable temperature is
counter-productive in my opinion for two reasons: first higher temperatures
cause convective airflow inside the enclosure. We want as little convective
flow  as possible. Second CMOS slows down at higher temperatures, and noise
levels go  up with temperature. As mentioned before temperature changes (other
than instant  changes such as when the sun almost sudden hits the enclosure)
usually are  easily low-pass filtered to be slower than the GPS loop time
constant which is  below a couple 100 seconds, so keeping the enclosure at
some high temperature is  probably going to make things worse. There are other
items to consider such as  the AT-cut TCXO crystal probably has its most
stable operating point at  around 25C, and the lifetime MTBF of electronics
typically gets cut in  half with every 10C Degree increase in temperature.

* The 10MHz units have a different RF output than the 20MHz units. The
20MHz units have a 50 Ohms series-terminated and buffered RF output, while the
10MHz units have the TCXO output drive the MMCX connector directly without
series impedance matching. Both drive the line with 3.0V CMOS levels. This
means  the cable on the 10MHz unit should be kept as short as possible, and
that  impedance matching for maximum power-transfer is not required nor
desired. The  suggestion that Charles made for checking the impedance by
progressively loading  the output more and more is valid for Sine Wave outputs, but
not for CMOS  outputs as implemented on the LTE Lite. One issue is that the
TCXO is driving a  1.8V CMOS input through a capacitive voltage divider,
and if you load  the TCXO so much that its output voltage goes to 1/2 the
no-load voltage then  the input of the processor will likely not get enough
voltage range to  operate properly.

I mentioned 1M Ohms input impedance simply for convenience as it is a
standard input impedance as Charles mentions. You can significantly reduce that
impedance since the 10MHz TCXO can drive a handful of mA no problem, and
the  20MHz buffered output can drive 20mA or more. This means a 1K Ohms load
is also  no issue as it would load the output only with 3mA, however(!) the
more you load  the CMOS output the more heating will happen in the 3.0V
linear regulator close  to the TCXO and inside the 10MHz DIP-14 TCXO. This will
cause load-induced  instability.

The best input for the LTE-Lite output is simply a 3.3V or 5V powered CMOS
gate. No input termination resistance required. Cable lengths should  be
kept short (less than a foot) to prevent ringing and loading the TCXO output
for more than a couple of nanoseconds as the edges traverse into the  coax.
I like to put a weak pull-down of 470K to 1M on those CMOS gate  inputs so
the input does not float when its not connected to anything. There is
absolutely no need to load down the output with 100 Ohms, 1K, or even 10K. For
CMOS inputs, the only thing that makes a difference in phase noise seems to be
 the rise/fall time and voltage swing. The faster swing and higher  voltage
the better. Loading down the output will reduce this voltage swing  and
slow down the internal CMOS switching process, and thus increase phase  noise.

Simply use a 74AC04 buffer as your 10/20MHz receiver/buffer, and keep  the
coax feed to less than 1 foot and you should see the performance we had
measured in our plots. No need to over-design this. Using a couple of the
74AC04  gates in parallel with each going through its own series resistor to
increase the drive power then combining the outputs of several of the 74AC04
gates, then adding a series capacitor to get rid of the DC offset will  allow
you to drive 50 Ohms terminated systems properly. If you use four gates in
parallel then use 180 Ohms or 200 Ohms series resistors on each gate and
that  will combine to close to a perfect 50 Ohms output impedance with very
high  current drive capability. Any noise on the power supply for that IC will
 end up as AM noise on the output signal, so an ultra low noise LDO is
suggested  (that's NOT a 7805 regulator!).

* On the MMCX cables, we were informed that the factory sent a number of
incorrect straight versus right-angle cables by accident. I sincerely
apologize  for that. They will work just as well electrically, but may not
mechanically fit  into the Hammond enclosure we mentioned. If you like please let us
know and we  can replace your straight cables with RA cables for your.

bye,
Said

In a message dated 11/23/2014 11:26:37 Pacific Standard Time,