[time-nuts] Practical considerations making a lab standard with an LTE lite

Said Jackson saidjack at aol.com
Mon Nov 24 03:44:22 UTC 2014

Charles,

Any buffer options added to the board would have caused either additive phase noise or added power consumption, and possibly yet another low noise LDO to be required.

On the 20MHz units there is already a strong buffer that can drive 50 Ohms terminations so adding a buffer in front of the coax connector on that version would have just added unnecessary phase and AM noise, parts count and cost, and power consumption, and would have resulted in a product with worse performance than we have now. That configuration is the "normal" one so we did not add unnecessary circuitry that would have decreased product performance.

On the 10MHz boards with external DIP-14 TCXO there is no buffer, and adding one would have required to possibly add yet another low noise supply regulator and possibly another MMCX connector. Since this is the "optional" configuration, we optimized for highest performance for the "standard" configuration.

Adding this many features to the board required some trade offs to be made, and we have to keep in mind the initial goal of the entire effort: to provide an easy way to evaluate the performance of our LTE Lite module - hence its called the LTE Lite Evaluation board. Everything else was a bonus.

But in the end it should be fairly trivial to put a 50 Ohms driver and low pass filter together using either a CMOS gate or a simple emitter follower. We also need to keep in mind that generating a Sine Wave output would have consumed 200mW to 250mW additive power and thus would have more than doubled the total power consumption.

Lastly we have three outputs on the board so we would have required three additional buffers and their support circuitry, all that for a questionable improvement.

Or instead of adding a bunch of buffers one can use somewhat short cables and 1M input impedance on the target hardware and that will work perfectly too without any changes..

Bye,
Said

Sent From iPhone