[time-nuts] Low Additive Phase Noise 10 MHz Amps

Bill bill at hsmicrowave.com
Mon Nov 24 17:48:54 UTC 2014

Hi Rick,

Thanks for your response and comments.

Although the term additive and residual phase noise have been used interchangeably in the literature to this day, I agree with you that they shouldn't, but with my following interpretation.

To me residual phase noise applies to the "measurement" of a single device whereas additive phase noise refers to the noise "added" from one device to another, i.e. at least two.
So when I used the term low additive noise I was referring to the end result of adding one noise source to another. Naturally it follows that a device with a low measured residual phase noise will contribute lower additive noise to another device. I think additive phase is a more apt description of the noise within a system being used, rather than reference to the measurement system of a single device.

Oh boy, I hope I didn't open up a can of worms.

Regards...Bill