[time-nuts] HP10811 Double oven, oven jump?

Dan Kemppainen dan at irtelemetrics.com
Wed Nov 26 17:00:46 UTC 2014

Hi All,

I've been playing with some double oven HP10811's. I've been monitoring
the internal oven feedback vs. temperature and noticed something
interesting last night. There was a sudden step change in internal oven
feedback voltage. This is the voltage coming from the amplifier
monitoring the bridge that feeds the heater transistors.

The step change was on the order of two or three times as large as
normal swings caused by the furnace cycling in the house. The voltage
was being monitored by a 8Ch ADC card. All of the other voltages on that
card were stable.

The jump was very small. I don't recall exactly (Not near that unit
right now), but somewhere around a mV or less. But it was very sudden
and compared to everything else on that line, or other voltages being
monitored.

I'm wondering if there is something going on in there that may require
attention. Bad solder, cracked trace, bad component???

Any idea what might have caused this?

Has anyone seen anything similar?

Thanks,
Dan