[time-nuts] NMEA Parser

Didier Juges shalimr9 at gmail.com
Thu Nov 27 15:56:45 UTC 2014

The Visual Basic NMEA Parser (with source code) has been posted:
http://www.ko4bb.com/NMEAParser

It is work in progress, is not and never was intended as a finished
product. I used it to further my understanding of the NMEA protocol as it
is used by GPS receivers, and to troubleshoot a few other NMEA/GPS related
projects I have in the pile.
It has been mostly tested with a few Trimble ACE-III receivers I have here.

The basic NMEA parsing routines were originally downloaded from
PlanetSourceCode but have been significantly tweaked.

The program has a Trimble TSIP mode, which eventually evolved into the
Thunderbolt Simulator project, so if you want to play with TSIP packets,
the Thunderbolt Simulator is a much better tool (some of it actually
works...) even though I have not uploaded the source code for the
Thunderbolt Simulator yet, so at least here you have some source code to
play with.

The TSIP mode in this tool is even less finished than the NMEA mode. You
have been warned...

One interesting feature (shared with the Thunderbolt Simulator) is the
capability to save and play back log files. The download includes a number
of log files that I downloaded from the Internet or created myself.

I welcome any constructive comment(s) via direct email. If you make useful
addition or bug fix, I would like to get your updates so that everyone can
benefit.

Happy Thanksgiving to all.

Didier KO4BB