[time-nuts] Homebrew frequency counter, need help

Bob Camp kb8tq at n1k.org
Fri Nov 28 14:36:43 UTC 2014

Hi

> On Nov 28, 2014, at 6:26 AM, Li Ang <lllaaa at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> I did a little calculation and it's a 10 digits counter.
> log(10,000,000,005) = 10.
> There is still a big gap between this one and 53132A :(

Not if you can hit the advertised time resolution of your chip. Keep on working on this.

> For 53132A, the time resolution is 150ps, which I think is 10digits/s with
> interpolator. According to the schematics the only difference between
> 53132A & 53131A is the ADC of interpolator. It is the reason why 53131A
> only has time resolution of 500ps (also 10digits/s). However, 53132A is a
> 12 digits/s counter. I guess the 2 more digits come from software. Linear
> regression maybe ?

More like confusing spec’s on the two counters. The timing resolution is what you want to look at in this case. They do some math on multiple internal readings to (hopefully) improve the frequency resolution. Sometimes that magic works, often on real signals it does not make much difference.