[time-nuts] [hp_agilent_equipment] Re: Upgrade an HP 5342A microwave frequency counter to have an oven oscillator.

Bob Camp kb8tq at n1k.org
Sun Nov 30 15:57:47 UTC 2014

Hi

> On Nov 30, 2014, at 4:28 AM, Dr. David Kirkby (Kirkby Microwave Ltd) <drkirkby at kirkbymicrowave.co.uk> wrote:
>
> On 30 Nov 2014 05:55, "Orin Eman orin.eman at gmail.com
> [hp_agilent_equipment]" <hp_agilent_equipment at yahoogroups.com> wrote:
>
>> Weren't you looking at the LTE Lite?  It should do fine as long as you
> can get the antenna well situated (not necessarily outdoors, some of us get
> along with having it in an upper floor room).  I have one on order.  It
> will be interesting to compare it with the Thunderbolt.
>>
>> Orin.
>
> No I didn't, since I don't have an LTE Lite.
>
> I will get some sort of GPDSO, but are torn between buying one of these
> four, which I ordered in price. All 4 have their advantages and
> disadvantages.
>
> 1) LUCENT/SYMMETRICOM Z3810AS, KS24361 L101/L102 $150
>
> 2) LTE Lite. $185.
>
> 3) HP Z3801A has been upgraded by the Chinese seller to a 58503A. $500

I’d buy that (with free postage) long before I’d buy the next one on the list …

> 4) An original HP 58503A. $700.

Consider that only having one of any of these still leaves you in the “is it working or not?” quandary. Some combination of devices that adds up to 3 gives you the ability to triangulate between them and be fairly sure of their current level of performance. Running them all off of one antenna is do-able, if that’s the main in your location. It is in mine.

“Is it working?” is probably a different level of concern on a brand new modern device, than on a 15 year old new in box part, than on one that may have been out in the rain for a decade. There’s also the “wear and tear” issue on something that may have 25 years of time on it’s running hours meter.

> BTW, I see what you mean about the postage charge from yixunhk. The Z3801A
> upgraded to an 58503A is free postage,  but for the 58503A one has to
> contact the seller.

Price as delivered (and fully set up) is the only price that counts. Some of what’s above still needs antennas and power supplies. Some of them are in nice enclosures. Depending on what you have lying around, setup cost may or may not be impacted by these things.

Bob