[time-nuts] WTB: GPS Antenna Splitter

Dave M dgminala at mediacombb.net
Mon Oct 6 20:01:46 UTC 2014

Does anyone in the group have, or can point me to, a low-cost (but not
cheap) 2-port splitter for a GPS antenna?  Those on Ebay are rather
expensive.

I have two GPSDO units, and have both an older timing antenna and a new
choke ring antenna (Thanks, Pete L).  I already have one 2-port splitter
(working well), but my intent is to connect both antennas through the
splitters and a couple coaxial relays so that I can, with the twist of a
switch, allow me to run each GPS from a different antenna, or both from the
same antenna.  I would like to gather some data as to the differences
between the two antennas.  I know I could switch the connections manually,
but I like the idea of a switch to sort of automate the connections, and I'd
need another splitter anyway.

Before I go to the trouble and expense of building upon this idea, are there
any comments as to the value of the project?
Some questions come to mind:
I'm thinking about mounting both antennas on the same mast, at the same
elevation, just separated by a couple feet.  Any problems that I should be
aware of by putting both antennas so close together?  Will that small
distance have a noticeable effect when switching a receiver from one antenna
to the other?  Will the GPS notice the difference and want to do another
survey?

Thanks for your comments.
Dave M