[time-nuts] Digital Mixing with a BeagleBone Black and D Flip Flop

Robert Darby bobdarby at triad.rr.com
Sat Oct 11 19:33:06 UTC 2014

Simon,

If I can rephrase your first post, you plan to capture the state
transitions along with their timing and subsequently post-process them
to determine the time from one zero-crossing to another. Each
zero-crossing is the sum of number of closely spaced state changes
(glitches) and some algorithm can be used to determine when the "real"
zero-crossing occurred.  Given the low speed of the clock, a deep memory
one bit data logger would suffice for each channel. Alternately, you can
store time tags for each state transition; the time being measured in
offset clock cycles.

This reduces the device to an offset clock, analog to digital conversion
for sine wave inputs, at least two d-flops, and the BBB for data capture
and analysis. Correct?

The glitches are to be expected and, as I noted, the absence of them on
the negative to positive transition of my breadboarded set-up made me
suspect the accuracy but also made it easy to get a "back of the
envelop" noise floor number that should only get better, provide the
de-glitch filter is robust.

Just as another thought, an FTDI asynchronous fifo can move 10 MB/s and
a synchronous fifo can move 60 MB/s. You could probably capture the
D-flop outputs directly through a USB port and process the byte wide
stream in real time. But that's what the BBB's going to do in any case.

As I mentioned, I want to try this in an fpga and the filter is the only
hard part there.   I'm thinking a state machine that first establishes a
stable low state, time tags the first positive transition and then looks
for some number of stable high states. With a time tag at that point,
it's easy to work back to the last positive transition and establish the
mean time.  I'm still trying to get my head around how I can do the zero
count filter but hopefully it will come.  The reason the fpga is
attractive is because a $40 Papilio includes the D-Flops and is largely
self contained.  Add a wing pad with the input conversion and your beat
clock and you're good to go.

bob