[time-nuts] Lightning arrestors for GPSDO antenna

ed breya eb at telight.com
Fri Oct 17 05:23:02 UTC 2014

Of all device types, I think gas tubes are the best for this sort of
application - very low C, and high surge current rating. I'm
picturing the kind that are used in power supplies and such for
limiting line transients - about 1 cm dia and length with axial
leads. I don't know what kind are used in "lightning arrestors," if
they are the same or scaled up in size.

Whether you make it able to take a direct hit depends on how big of a
hit, your budget, and the environment of the antenna and lines. If
it's the tallest thing in a huge field in a lightning-prone area,
then it could be a big issue, but I don't think most people have that
situation.

You may want to look at the US National Electrical Code (NEC) for
ideas - I believe that subject is covered there. The main thing there
would be safety against injuries and fire, even if the equipment is destroyed.

I think what you would want is kind of a pi network - the lowest
impedance path to ground at the antenna zone that can be practically
realized, then a high common-mode impedance (or even fusible) line to
carry the signal to the building, then another low impedance path to
ground at the building. This means that in my opinion, you should not
put the feedline in metal conduit unless it's essential for
protection - or underground, which should improve the grounding. You
want the antenna zone to absorb the brunt of any discharge, then use
the higher line Zcm to hopefully give some degree of isolation from
there to the building.

Ed