[time-nuts] LTE-Lite module

Brian Lloyd brian at lloyd.aero
Mon Oct 20 17:20:51 UTC 2014

On Mon, Oct 20, 2014 at 6:48 AM, Bob Camp <kb8tq at n1k.org> wrote:

> Hi
>
> We tend to focus on this or that enhanced feature in a piece of code. It’s
> fun to talk about. That’s not what keeps most designs from doing what they
> should. By focusing on this rather than the testing required, we set people
> up to fail. If you start off the project believing you mostly need fancy
> code when you mostly need long term testing instead, you hit a wall pretty
> fast. Setting up for one is not at all the same as setting up for the other.

Sounds to me like the hardware and code are pretty straight-forward. The
difference comes from the terms and coefficients in the PLL loop filter and
those need to be optimized for each OCXO. There appear to be here a handful
of people who have a pretty good idea of what those coefficients should be
for various well-known OCXOs out there.

So why not do the GPSD hardware, software, and then provide the
coefficients that will get a handful of the more popular OCXOs available
out there to within a decade of optimum, certainly closer than what one
would be talking about by just bolting x-random OCXO onto an LTE-lite? I
suspect there would be a market in the time-nut world for such a critter.

--
Brian Lloyd
Lloyd Aviation
brian at lloyd.aero