[time-nuts] LTE-Lite module

Poul-Henning Kamp phk at phk.freebsd.dk
Tue Oct 21 06:41:07 UTC 2014

--------
In message <766D6811-F733-4AB2-8574-24E4606E45FA at aol.com>, Said Jackson via tim
e-nuts writes:
>Thats exactly right Bob.
>
>By the time your ocxo jumps to catch up to the efc voltage, you
>have oversteered,  then the process starts in reverse and the ocxo
>jumps in the opposite direction.

This is a well known PI effect called "windup".

The cause is a phase offset of opposite sign of the frequency offset.

The fix is simple:

Start running with only the P term, and engage the I term only after

1. The input phase offset changes sign

or

2a. The input phase offset levels off

or

2b. Some calibrated amount of time has passed.