[time-nuts] Lucent KS-24361, HP/Symmetricom Z3809A, Z3810A, Z3811A, Z3812...

Arthur Dent golgarfrincham at gmail.com
Wed Oct 22 17:59:48 UTC 2014

GandalfG8 at aol.com GandalfG8 at aol.com
Wed Oct 22 04:35:40 EDT 2014

"Similarly, with this RFTG-u kit I'd be more inclined to look for  ways of
routing the native 5MHz from the GPS conditioned Milliren 260 series
oscillator to the outside world, and to just treat any other use found for
the
processed 15MHz as a bonus:-)"

++++++++++++++++++

This was kind of my thinking on trying to use this Lucent unit as well.
Way back on Fri Jun 11 16:48:43 UTC 2010 I posted about using one of
these units I had modified but at the time there wasn't a single person
who was interested. I have been using the RFTG-u REF1 since then and
it is a nice unit. The modifications I added (including a power supply
-see photo) allows the lights to cycle through their normal secquence
on warm-up and the second unit isn't needed at all. I can't give you
any reason why I used the general purpose transistors instead of a
single IC quad inverter which might have worked as well or how I
stumbled upon why I did what I did back then but it does work. Here's
what I posted to Time-Nuts 4 years ago.

"Like most Lucent units the RFTG-u REF1 was made to run with another
back-up unit for redundancy, needed an interconnect cable, and has no
information available. I managed to figure out a way to make it work as a
standalone unit and ran the 5Mhz from the OXCO thru a QBits amplifier to
give me 5Mhz output instead of the Lucent standard of 15Mhz. I haven't
carefully checked it against the other GPSDOs I have running but with the
modifications I made to allow it to work solo, it seems to be a pretty good
plug-and-play unit."

-Arthur