[time-nuts] 10MHz Rubidium reference source for frequencycounter

Tom Van Baak tvb at LeapSecond.com
Mon Oct 27 18:58:54 UTC 2014

> Really I am looking for a source with a good short range stability performance between 1 and 10 seconds.

If that is your goal, I'm not sure a cheap rubidium is necessary, or even a good choice. Many plain OCXO have better phase noise and better stability over tau 1 to 10 seconds.

Also for this you may not need a GPSDO. That will give you better absolute accuracy, but it may not improve short-term stability. In fact many GPSDO make stability worse from, say, tau 10 to 100 seconds as a byproduct of making stability better for tau 1000+ seconds.

Your frequency counter is superb; the Pendulum CNT-91 is my favorite. Can you tell us what you are actually trying to measure? I'm a little confused by the use of CNT-91, eBay rubidium, GPSDO, and good 1 - 10 second stability all in the same sentence.

/tvb