[time-nuts] Lucent KS-24361, HP/Symmetricom Z3809A, Z3810A, Z3811A, > Z3812A GPSDO system (Bob Camp)

Bob Camp kb8tq at n1k.org
Fri Oct 31 22:14:28 UTC 2014

Hi

Since you asked, pinouts:

Standard numbering on all connectors. The P connector is numbered “backwards” from the J connectors as viewed from the front of the unit. If that does not make sense, check a DB-9-M and DB-9-F diagram. The numbers are on the parts in *really* small print if you really want to go crazy.

P1, Power

pin 1 + supply into the unit
pin 2 supply return out of the unit
all other pins - no connect

Supply is 18 to 36V. After warmup the pair of units pull about 1A at 28V. At turn on they pull more than 2A. The supply inputs are fully floating at DC relative to the chassis.

J8 - Diagnostics

Pins 3 and 7 ground
Pin 4 RX+
Pin 8 RX-
Pin 5 TX+
Pin 9 TX-
all others no connect

J6 PPS

Pins 3 and 7 ground
Pin 4 RX+
Pin 8 RX-
Pin 5 TX+
Pin 9 TX-
Pin 1 PPS+
Pin 6 PPS -
all others no connect

J3 Alarm

all pins no connect

All signals for RX and TX are RS-422. Data on J8 is at 9600 baud 8N1. RX is  into the box, TX is out of the box.

Data format on the Diag connector looks like the older RFTG’s:

byte			use			values
1			talker		0 = ref 0, 1 = ref 1
2			status		0 = active, 1 = inactive
4			mode		0 = warmup, 1 = gps, 2 = holdover, 3 = fault
9,10			time			hours in this mode
11 to 18		GPS time		seconds since GPS start in 1980
19 to 22		Firmware		Rom version
23,23		checksum

The string starts with a :
All the bytes not listed above read as zero

No idea about the diag port. I haven’t gotten that far.

One hint:

If you have “GPS” trouble on the slave unit, wiggle the interface cable. Apparently the 15 year old cable contacts aren’t quite as shiny as they should be.

Bob