[time-nuts] Lucent KS-24361, HP/Symmetricom Z3809A, Z3810A, Z3811A, Z3812A GPSDO system

Bob Camp kb8tq at n1k.org
Fri Oct 31 22:18:47 UTC 2014

Hi

> On Oct 31, 2014, at 5:07 PM, Bill Riches <bill.riches at verizon.net> wrote:
>
> Hi Bob,
>
> I connected 10 MHZ test jack output to a 15 db el-cheepo CATV amp and the output of that to a 4 way splitter.  Splitter outputs went to 3336-3586 and counter.  All seem to like the ref signal.  Output of the amp takes makes the semi-square wave into a sick saw tooth.

Feeding a square wave into an analog amp probably isn’t the best thing to do. Since it’s already a logic signal, buffering it with gates would make more sense.

> Amp is only rated from 50 to 500 mhz so strange things are happening with 10 MHZ input.  Other CATV amps do have better low fx response - will play with that later.
>
> I have 10 mhz pulse from Lucent into trigger input of 465 scope and Thunderbolt gps output into vertical input of scope.  Time base is set for .01 Usec per div. I notice that trace moves right to left then left to right about every 5 min or so.  Moves about 3 div before changing directions.  Why?  Is the Lucent still making a list?  It has only been on for a few hours.

It likely will take a couple of weeks before everything settles in. The 3810’s have been off power a *long* time.

>  It takes about 10 min for GPS to go out from a cold start. (My Thunderbolt and RB do not change direction when using one as trigger and the other for vert input to scope)
>
> I ordered a USB to RS422 converter cable - will be here next week.

Let us all know if you find one that works well

Bob