[time-nuts] Cutler NAA on 24.0kHz....

paul swed paulswedb at gmail.com
Thu Sep 11 15:06:10 UTC 2014

Update on NAA.

The tracor d-msk-r was completed last night and tried it out.

Someone on this thread said I would find that the lm3900 was acting as a
half wave rectifier and he was right. The whole thing is a frequency
doubler. But the last stage removes the higher frequency. Its a bandpass
filter.

The magic goes like this.
NAA is at 24,000Hz and the LO is at 23,900 Hz. Result a 100 Hz baseband
signal modulates + and - 50 Hz MSK. The doubler multiplies 50 Hz to 100 Hz.
the 150 is multiplied and rejected by the bandpass filter. Result, a 100 hz
signal only for one of the MSK carriers. The one at 23950 Hz. (Because of
the low side LO injection that may be flipped. But no real effect.)

I barely looked at the stability of that 100 Hz. The fact is I have no 100
Hz locked reference. There is a bit of humor everyday. Never thought I
would need one. Easy enough to make and I will dig in further tonight.

Regards
Paul
WB8TSL