[time-nuts] Help understanding an ADEV

Bob Stewart bob at evoria.net
Thu Sep 11 19:01:22 UTC 2014

Here are a couple of reference plots.  The only thing really important is the voltage trace in red.  It's in 10s of microvolts.

The first one is just measuring the EFC at the OCXO which is only being driven by the VRef output of the OCXO.  I think it clears the 3456A of any wrongdoing.

http://evoria.net/AE6RV/TIC/VRef.vs.3456A.png

The second one tests the noise from the op-amp by supplying its input with 3.3V from the PIC's VDD.  The PIC's DAC output is disconnected for this plot.  There's a few more tens of microvolts of noise than in the one above, but that's to be expected, I think.  It's certainly nowhere near the noise on the other two plots driven by the DAC.

http://evoria.net/AE6RV/TIC/Op-Amp.png

Bob