[time-nuts] Help understanding an ADEV

Andrew Rodland andrew at cleverdomain.org
Fri Sep 12 21:29:23 UTC 2014

Your intuition isn't completely wrong -- the law of averages still
applies. As you provide more and more good data it will eventually
overwhelm the initial bad data, and the result will get closer to
correct.

But it will take a *lot* of data to overwhelm even a few data points
that have a deviation a hundred thousand times as large as the
deviation you're trying to measure. You would probably have to run for
months before you could trust the plot out to tau = 10000s. Removing
the bad data is a superior alternative, if you ask me :)

Andrew