[time-nuts] NAA experiments as a reference

John Reed ka5qep at sbcglobal.net
Sun Sep 14 16:52:44 UTC 2014

I am able to phase track NAA using the following method:

Reception using active whip antenna input into HP 3581C selective vm, tuned
to 24 KHz using its 300 Hz bandpass filter.
Output is taken from "Restored" connection on back panel and input into the
squaring chip AD835, set up on a breadboard.  If the output of the AD835 is
looked at with a dynamic signal analyzer, I see two monochromatic signals at
48.1 KHz and 47.9 KHz.  I am able to phase lock on either of these using the
Tracor 599J if they are input into it.  The lock seems to agree with the
tracking I got with WWVB over the 15 minutes or so that I let it lock.  I
have also looked at some of the other Navy MSK signals, but this morning
they were too weak.  I could see hints of the monochromatic signals with NLK
but there were too weak to lock on.

John, KA5QEP