[time-nuts] Correcting jitter on the1 PPSsignalfromaGPSreceiver.

Peter Reilley peter at reilley.com
Mon Sep 15 15:02:56 UTC 2014

You need not have a properly terminated transmission line but you
must then worry about the bounce.   If you understand the size
of the bounce and have a system that will not suffer false triggering
then you will be OK.

There are some worries however.  It is hard to predict the exact
size of the bounce since any measurements that you take necessarily
affect the impedance of the line and therefore the characteristics
of the bounce.

If you change the components of your transmission line then you effect
the size of the bounce.   High quality (low loss) coax will have
a larger bounce than crappy coax.

The terminating impendence that you do have affects the bounce.
Is the receiving device 1 M ohm?   Is it 1 K ohm.  The capacitance
also has an effect.  Is it 10 pF, 100 pF, 1000 pF?   Complex
impedances are lots of fun to figure out in these situations.
A 50 Ohm terminator generally swamps any complex impedance effects
and they can generally be ignored,

The length of the coax will effect the size and position of the
bounce.

Do you know the size of the bounce?   Do you know your system's
trigger set point?   Can you adjust the set point?

If you use a properly terminated cable these worries mostly go away.
You can run without a termination, it is just easier and more reliable
with it.

Pete.