[time-nuts] Correcting jitter on the 1 PPS signalfrom a GPS receiver.

SAIDJACK at aol.com SAIDJACK at aol.com
Mon Sep 15 17:13:54 UTC 2014

Hi Dave,

yes there is a reason.

The "standard" 1PPS signal termination (Thunderbolt etc) used to be 5 Ohms
or less series termination into a 50 Ohms coax (yikes), then end-terminate
to  get rid of all the undesired reflections.

Your example below is properly terminating a 75 Ohms coax with a 75 Ohms
series termination. The end-termination then becomes optional and affects the
 signal level at the sink. So if a higher signal level is desired, simply
leave  off the 75 Ohms end termination.

But in the case of the Thunderbolt they don't use a 50 Ohms output
impedance, they use something around 5 Ohms. That is the problem here: the total
impedance mismatch from the very low source impedance into the 50 Ohms  coax.

The reason they do that is so that they can generate a "proper" signal
level that is approaching 5V across the 50 Ohms end termination so that the
signal remains CMOS compatible. Otherwise if they properly terminated the
driver  with 50 Ohms they would have a voltage divider and would only generate
2.5V  at the sink.

bye,
Said

In a message dated 9/15/2014 06:04:34 Pacific Daylight Time,